Nice, 14 July 2016, Bastille Day – A terror truck kills 84 in the French Riviera
• A truck crashed into a crowd gathered to watch la fête nationale Bastille Day fireworks in Nice, France (French Riviera), killing at least 84 people.
• Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhel, the driver of the truck, a 31-year-old French Tunisian resident of Nice, was shot dead by police forces. The man was not on the watch list of French intelligence services, but was known to police for common law crimes.
• The truck was loaded with grenades and rifles, some fake weapons. But the terrorist also fired a pistol several times before being killed by police.
• French president François Hollande said early Friday morning that the attack “undeniably, has terrorist characteristics”. “France is filled with sadness by this new tragedy”, Hollande said, noting several children were among the dead. “France was struck on its national day …the symbol of freedom”.
• President Barack Obama gave his vote of confidence in the “character of the French Republic” to overcome the tragic attack. “On Bastille Day, we are reminded of the extraordinary resilience and democratic values that have made France an inspiration to the entire world, and we know that the character of the French Republic will endure long after this devastating and tragic loss of life”.
• The attack has not yet been claimed by any group, but ISIS / ISIL supporters are celebrating the killing on social media.
• French President Hollande announced that France’s state of national emergency will continue for three months more.
Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité